Do you feel uneasy watching videos with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac devices and require a bigger screen to watch movies? You can achieve this using airplay.
With airplay, you can mirror videos from your iPhone to the TV screen. You can also play music and see a slideshow of photos via the TV.
With Wi-Fi, you can connect to airplay and have all the features above. However, without Wi-Fi, can you airplay on TV?
You can airplay TV without wi-fi, so disregard the misconceptions that you need stable Wi-Fi before you can mirror screen using airplay. You can easily navigate the mirror screening process with peer-to-peer airplay without a Wi-Fi connection.
In this article, I’ll outline methods you can use to connect airplay on TV without a Wi-Fi connection.
Do You Need Wi-Fi Connection To Airplay To TV?
You don’t need a Wi-Fi connection to airplay TV.
However, if you are streaming the video, audio, and picture you are mirroring to the TV online, you would need a Wi-Fi connection.
Here are a few methods to airplay on TV without a Wi-Fi connection.
#1. Peer-to-Peer Method
To airplay on your TV without Wi-Fi, use the peer-to-peer airplay technique.
Using this method, your iPad and iPhone would function as a momentary Wi-Fi hotspot.
Using the peer-to-peer method, here is a step-by-step method of connecting Airplay on your TV without a Wi-Fi connection.
- To begin with, you must delete all the saved networks on your TV.
- The next step is to turn on your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on the iOS device and TV that you are using. You would have to restart both the TV and iOS devices after that.
- Also, connect the iPhone, iPad, or Mac devices to your TV. Go to the gadget’s “control center”; then click on “Airplay to link”
- Then, you will need to enter the 4-digit password of your iOS gadget. Wait patiently till the code also appears on your TV.
- You also have to leave it for some minutes until you receive a pop-up message that the peer-to-peer connection process is complete.
To utilize the peer-to-peer airplay method; your device has to attain some requirements to fit the criteria; they include;
- Your iPhone or iPad must come with an iOS 8 or newer version. For Mac devices, ensure it has OS X Yosemite v10. 10 or recent versions.
- You would have to get a 3rd generation to rave A model or a 4th generation Apple TV before establishing a peer-to-peer connection.
#2. Google Chromecast
Another method that allows you to mirror contents from your device to your TV using airplay is Google Chromecast.
You can stream music, photos, and videos, using it. To achieve that, connect the google Chromecast to your apple TV using an HDMI cable.
Ensure your Mac’s iOS is v10.10 or has a newer version before it can work.
#3. Apple Lightning Connector
The Apple lightning connector is another easy way to airplay on TV without a wi-fi connection.
The only problem is getting hold of an adapter that can suit your iPhone, iPad, or Mac devices.
Does Peer-to-Peer Airplay on TV Require Wi-Fi Connection?
Peer-to-Peer airplay on TV doesn’t require a Wi-Fi connection before it can function. Your iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices work as temporary Wi-Fi hotspots.
This method stands out as the easiest method to connect an Apple device to your TV; it doesn’t require a wi-fi connection to work. It can work with or without a wi-fi connection.
However, peer-to-peer airplay has its pros and cons. Some of its pros and cons include;
|You can share videos and media without using a wi-fi network.
|It reduces the quality of the video and audio drastically.
|Peer-to-peer airplay can play music with a poor internet connection.
|You can’t mirror videos to your TV screen from platforms like Netflix and Youtube.
Does Airplay Require Bluetooth?
Airplay employs Bluetooth to connect to TVs and other gadgets that require airplay, but it isn’t necessarily a do-or-die affair to use Bluetooth.
Airplay utilizes a local wired network to link your Apple devices, but this doesn’t imply that it can’t do without an available Bluetooth connection.
Aside from Bluetooth, airplay uses Wi-Fi and Ethernet.
How Do You Connect Airplay To Your TV? (Step by Step)
If you connect your airplay to the TV properly: it makes the whole step easy, as you have a bigger and more portable screen to view your movies, pictures, and music.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to connect airplay to your TV.
#1. Airplay Videos To TV
- Firstly, link your TV and iPhone to the same wi-fi network. Then choose a video you would love to mirror to your TV screen.
- The next step is to click on the airplay icon (the icon has the shape of a TV and a triangle at the bottom that points upwards).
- Then you have to choose your TV; input the airplay password. The password will appear on your TV screen.
#2. Airplay Photos To TV
- If you want to mirror the pictures in your iPhone camera roll, visit the photo app and click on the photos to airplay.
- The next step is to click on the share button in the bottom left corner of your screen ( the arrow points upwards out of a box).
- You will have to scroll down and click on Airplay, then input the Airplay code on the screen.
- Click the slideshow from that menu to see all the photos or choose albums as they slide.
#3. Airplay Music on TV
- To airplay music to your TV, visit the music app and click on the song, then tap the airplay at the bottom ( it has a triangular shape, with circles encircling the top)
- The next step is to select your TV and input the airplay passcode.
- Know that you would control the volume with your TV remote, not your iPhone.
If your video is chaotic during the mirroring process, you can check out this article to improve your wi-fi connection here.
Utilizing Airplay makes the process easier and cozier; however, like every other technology, Airplay has its pros and cons.
Here are some of its pros and cons below.
|Airplay works with or without a wi-fi connection.
|You can only access one app at a time while using airplay.
|You can get extensive detail of the content you are watching.
|It’s only usable on Apple devices like iPhones, iPad, iPods, or some android devices.
|It gives you room to stream content from various platforms at the same time.
|You can’t get varying contents from each device.
|Airplay doesn’t affect the quality of your video and audio significantly.
|You can only share the videos to only Apple TVs.
Using airplay to stream videos, audio, and photos on your TV is easier and more comfortable.
With the peer-to-peer technique and the other methods above, you can use airplay without a wi-fi connection.
However, if you are streaming the videos and audio online, you would require a wi-fi connection.